Microfluidic Sperm Sorting
FERTILE® Microfluidic Sperm Sorting Chip
Chemical-free method of sorting sperm using a disposable chip. The method is based on the principle of natural sperm selection in a passage through micro-barriers imitating natural environment of female reproductive system (fallopian tubes). Selected sperm cells have better morphology, genetic quality and more than double viability and motility than unsorted sperm. This method demonstrably increases the success of a cycle by up to 25%.
Microfluidic Sperm Sorting is a new gentle alternative to standard sperm processing which does not require any previous processing of sperm sample or use of devices (e.g. centrifuge) that increase oxidative stress in sperm.
When do we recommend this procedure?
- After recurring IUI failures
- In case of low rate of egg fertilization with ICSI in the previous cycle
- For recurring miscarriages
- After multiple embryo transfers without subsequent embryo implantation
- In case of poor-quality embryos in previous IVF cycles
- In other cases depending on the advice of physician
How does the method work?
The chip has an inlet for the sample, which is linked to the outlet opening with a microfluidic duct. The untreated sperm sample is pipetted into the inlet where the present sperm must actively migrate in the outlet against the movement of the fluid as well as through the above-mentioned micro-barriers. Sperm cells are sorted by separating healthy motile sperm in the outlet from poor-quality sperm captured in the duct.