MESA/TESE is microsurgical method of sperm extraction directly from the epididymis or testicle.
It allows extraction of the sperms suitable for fecundation in such cases, when we do not find any sperms (azoosperm-absence of sperms in the ejaculate), or in retrocedent ejaculation, erection defects and others.
The principle is the aspiration of a liquid from the epididymis (MESA) or an extraction of a small part of the tissue of the testicle (biopsy of testicle - TESE). The sperms utilizable for the IVF are then found in the samples under a microscope.
The procedure is performed under general anaesthesia and takes ca. 1 hour. After its completion you will stay for 2 - 3 hours in the ward and if you feel well after that resting period you can leave the clinic with an accompaniment.
How to prepare yourself for the operation?
- Before the performance it is necessary to have arranged a pre-operation examination. You will obtain an application form from your practitioner or a nurse at the CAR.
- For the operation itself you should come with the operation area clean-shaved. You can use the single-use shaving device available at all chemist’s.
- If the operation is performed under general anaesthesia, you must not drive or ride a motor vehicle, thus it will be necessary to arrange a transport.
After the operation:
- Improved hygiene important in the area of sewing
- Prevention of friction at the operation area – loose underwear